Monday, September 15

Greed...

He was very lean. Dishevelled hair, stinking shirt without two buttons and another one open, he was holding two big bags on his shoulders and a big bunch of books was kept one above another supported by his hands, stomach and chest.

The train was passing a dark tunnel which was supposed to be the longest one in this nation. The coach was illuminated badly still his gaudy bracelet bearing lord Ganesha’s image was flickering. The short trouser he was wearing had the burns of hard work here and there. Muddy pants also bore Grease and even blood stains.

“Sir, I can offer you world classics, recent best sellers, quick short story books, comics in a cheaper rate. And I bet you will never find these things so cheap anywhere else but from me.” He rolled his eyes on everyone sitting nonchalant in a trice. Not bothered, he kept his bags in the aisle and started showing the books he was carrying.”

“150 Rupees per book”, the rates were fixed, no matter what the content was or who the author is or how famous the book is. “Not a penny more than 75 if not the ultimate book”, I quipped while surfing the pirated volumes. He averted his gaze and scrutinized me. His eyes fell over me, my appearance, my preppy attire and even my baggage’s. Holding his tongue for a second he blurted, “100 per book; if you will grab two or more.”

Somebody asked him is this his main source for living. “No Sir, I very well do sell DVD’s, T shirts, candles, pens, drawing books, foreign chocolates, bangles, anklets, brooch, rakhi’s, magazines of all types and cigarettes”, the last two he said in a husky voice. One passenger commented, “Boy, you got a whole super market.” Laughter’s erupted all over the cabin, but he was busy showing me various books, but didn’t forget to wear a small smirk.

“Till what time you work?” somebody else asked. I raised my face to find the source. A codger, sitting on the window seat, was curious to know. What these people get by asking such questions? Are they mocking the boy for his state or they expect to get some intelligent answer from this boy? I wondered.

I suddenly espied him passing a wide smile. “I go to school in the morning and in the evening I sell my brands for around five hours.” That answer impressed everyone, not to mention me too. “I got a family with my mother and three sisters and a brother younger to me.” That was not asked for, but still the dialogue spattered.

The lady sitting next to me, munching few biscuits and wafers, with her sympathy ornate face, looked at him. She forwarded the opened packet biscuits and offered him few.

“My stomach is full, Madam. Just fifteen minutes before had food.” He declined the offer politely.

“Its ok son, you can have two slices of biscuits. Those wonts make a difference and there will be that much space in your space.”

“It’s not about space availability. It’s just that I am not hungry. And I think we should eat only when we are hungry. We should not be greedy for all these things.” Everyone sat their in awe. Paying me back 200 rupees he collected his material and strode ahead searching for his prospective customers.

Everyone was still stuck in awe. The train was slowing down for the next station. The metal tyres braking sounds were piercing my ears. But still, the last two dialogues lingered through the sub lanes of my conscience.

“And I think we should eat only when we are hungry.” Did he realise the depth of his dialogue? He only knows.

53 comments:

lukkydivz said...

motivating...sometimes children speak things that require a great deal of profundity to understand.
was this fiction or any real life experience?

Cess said...

wow that was a great story ;) a pleasure... again to read. And see, this one is not about women and i would i still gave u the award ;)
keep up the good work, i m already waiting for the next one now ;)

C.

D said...

You're tagged!

~nm said...

Is this a real story? Or a piece of fiction?

But whatever it is, as you said, he probably didn't even realise the depth of his statement.

DMulan said...

wow!!! that was really really good vinz... a simple story.. very realistic.. well told :) and needless to say, carries a lot of depth.

Hemanth Potluri said...

gud one dude..it has lot of feel...is it for real exp or fiction..:)..

urs..hemu..

Beauty and the BEast said...

spirited... I just read not so long ago that as long as the spirit is alive, the nation shall still survive!!

Anwesa said...

another touching story..poverty with dignity..i just loved the boy's reactions..

Sameera Ansari said...

Wow!That was quite something.I so agree with the boy.Indeed,kids say the darnest things!

Very well written!

P.S. Small correction - that much space in your "stomach" :)

Priya Joyce said...

wen i was going thru i thought does the title match? But i must say the title says it all.
the last words of the boy very subtly depicts what all poverty forces people to do but still if we think beyond
A question arises:-
Does he really believe in what he said or is it poverty forcing him to say so?

Anonymous said...

We eat food when we are hungry.
Biscuit - food ?
May be he was hungry.
;)

Vinz said...

@divz,

very true...
its a pure fiction thing..! (came out of some experience)

:)

Vinz said...

@cess,

thank you cess...its my pleasure actually..visit again..!! hope i can entertain you the same way again..!!

:)

Vinz said...

D,

thank you for your visit..
i will do the tag soon..
no comments regarding the post..??

:)

Vinz said...

@nm

a piece of fiction...hope u liked it..

yeah, i just wanted to portray the innocence of children's words and the deep meaning they carry...

thnx for ur visit..!!

:)

Vinz said...

@divya

thank you..i just wanted to portray the power of children's innocence..!

:)

Vinz said...

Hemu,

great you realised the depth of the statement and the story..
its fiction.,..

:)

Vinz said...

@beauty and the beast,

very true...but i fear the spirit we saw in his innocence will die when he grows up...

:)

Vinz said...

@anwesa


but this same poverty can lead him to crimes also..!! that's one curse clouding this world..!!

:)

Vinz said...

sameera,

very true..kids say 'heavy weighted' philosophies..knowingly or unknowingly...

thnx for notifying the mistake..it was a typing mistake..shey, i didn't even notice it before posting..!!

:)

Vinz said...

@priya,

i was just confused what title to be given for the write up...and i wanted to post it soon also.. just put the title which came to my mind which i feel suited the post..

i think the boy's innocence was speaking over there...maybe in a later stage, this world will change his perceptions..!! definitely it will!!

:)

Vinz said...

@hobo

yeah, but thats a rare case.. i wouldnt have discarded the offer of a biscuit even i would have had stomach filling chicken biriyani with lemon pickle..

and yeah, to the poor even biscuits are a form of food..

:)

Anonymous said...

:)
So True! :)

Very good narration :o)

I wonder if this is fiction.

Vinz said...

@veens,

thnx for the appreciation..!!

:)

Keshi said...

Kids r so innocent, hence they speak the truth. And sometimes they can be the SMARTEST ppl ever!

Great post here Vinu!


Keshi.

Vinz said...

keshi,

very true keshi...but the sad thing is that they dont carry their 'smartness' when they grow up..!!

Anonymous said...

was he shive kera is disguise? cool men

Chakoli said...

:)))

quite true...

infact if we follow this world will be a safer a peaceful place to live :)))

Vinz said...

@chriz,

:)
he was learning khera's 'gyans' the hard way..!!

:)

Vinz said...

@chakoli,

very true friend..
this world would have been a better place..!!

:)

Vee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vee said...

Hmm, Indeed worth pondering.

P.S. I do not often eat when I am hungry. What is that word for 'Dislike for food'... I guess I suffer with that most of the times.

Vinz said...

@oxy,

thnx for the visit..
you got a severe problem..
i feel we should eat when we are hungry..!!


How do u survive..?

:)

Cinderella said...

Vinz ! I'm being frank like you said...

And boy you're good ! YOu;re realy good at this. I read all your srories on this page, and al of them are marvellous !

I'm linking you.
:)

Bhai with Chai said...

whoa! gr8..!

Vinz said...

@cinderella,

thanks for those words...
appreciations are as welcome as criticisms..

do keep visiting..!!

:)

Vee said...

Well, I do eat but just twice and not fixed time for it. I prefer taking liquids than solid food and liquid includes all kinds..hehe... I mean I drink lots n lots of water...

Vinz said...

bhai with chai,

thnx

:)

Vinz said...

Well, I do eat but just twice and not fixed time for it. I prefer taking liquids than solid food and liquid includes all kinds..hehe... I mean I drink lots n lots of water...

@thats great...juice diet is good...
includes all kinds...!! great..hehe.. what kind of water is another question...

;)

Keshi said...

yep..I was a child once...now Im pathetic.

Keshi.

Vee said...

Hmm, now u coming to the point.. Well, to start with my most fav liquid is Tequila followed by Bacardi Rum and Chivas Whiskey.

Saim said...

nice story bro...funny how much dignity u can find among d les privileged n so less among d better served of dis world!!!
ohh n btw...d spelling is S-A-I-M...plz correct:)

Vinz said...

@keshi,

we all are..

:)

Vinz said...

@oxy,

thats a great combo..!!
three cheers to that..!!

:)

Vinz said...

@comfortablynumb,

thnx for the visits and comments..!!
will correct the spelling for sure..!!

:)

Lena said...

that was some amazing narration with well conveyed message! Great work done! :)

Vinz said...

@lena,

thnx friend...great to know the message is properly conveyed..do keep visiting..!!

:)

Anonymous said...

i have tagged you... check it up and please take the tag.. ita a very simple tag only

Gunjan Aylawadi said...

ure a brilliant story teller pal!!
keep up d great work!

Vinz said...

@chriz,

sure dude...
am gonna do it..!!
check out next

:)

Vinz said...

@gunj,

thnx Gunj...
readers like you and you people's comments motivate me a lot..!!

:)

Pavi!!!! said...

How simple a truth...n we dont seem to remember it at all times!

Vinz said...

@pavi,

yeah, truths are always simple..its we who makes them complicated many a times..

:)